Menu bar

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Food & Wine Festival - The Afghan Spice Banquet

Before I begin, sorry for the lack of updates lately. The bad news is that this page has getting really aged. On the other hand, the good news is that I have been really busy with photo shoots and has embarked on a new line of photo shoot recently as well. Without further ado, lets begin.

I realised just how shallow and ignorant I am about Afghanistan. All I knew was from the news and totally about wars and terrors in the poor country. This Afghan Sprice Banquet, held in the recently completed Dandenong Market was incredible, packaged with people and really helped me to get a taste of the rich Afghan culture - the sbeautiful costumes, amazing foods, flamboyant dancing, traditional and modern music and henna (hand) painting and more. There were also three camels to entertain the public on the outside. The camels had names and are dearly loved by her owners - Liz & Kerry. You can contact them by email or phone (03)-5266 1415. Here is Kerry in the picture. I do not derive any financial gain from this. Just thought they were lovely people and really loved their boys (that's how they call their camels).


The market hall looks somewhat crude but the decorations, table cloth and stage in the middle transformed the warehouse looking hall into an amazing looking and classy eat out.





I have never seen henna painting. Boy, do they look great and I never thought the paint is so thick! Wonder how it taste like.. chocolate? :P

As you can imagine, the henna painting was a big hit with the kids, so many queued up to have their hands painted, both boys and girls. I wish I could have mine done as well!!

Very impressed with their traditional music instruments and music also as well as their dancing and costumes with heavily wavved coats and dresses with lots of colours and adorned with lots of beads and what looks like mirrors. Very pretty indeed.

One of the council staff let her hair down and got a first taste of it herself, dancing in the market to the music by a modern Afghan pop group in front of shoppers in the market. Good on you!

I wish I did try the food. Mmmm, mouth watering just looking at the pics... :P


No comments: