Menu bar

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fishing at Patterson Lakes


Actually this is not quite true, we just started off from Carrum and the boat went about 16km out to sea. So I guess it was really Port Melbourne. ;)

It was a very early morning for me - had to get up at 3:30am to get ready because the boat leaves on the dot at 5am. However, what made it worst was that I decided to try my new alarm clock - my mobile phone. That was very stupid of me, I should have stayed with what I am familiar with. After all, there is nothing wrong with my trusty old alarm clock!

Because of my foolishness, I woke up at 12 mid-night, then again at 1am and then at 2am and then at 3am as well. I have learnt my lesson!

Anyway, at least I got to the pier on time. Imagine how I would be fuming if I ended up late and missed the trip!

Our skipper was a funny bloke, he would shout at us when we make mistakes. Well, for one, I have no idea what I am doing because I never fished before... But I am so glad that he actually helps to collect the fish at the end of the line and unhooks the fish which was quite an operation at least once...

Last year's catch was horrible I was told, only one fish was caught, so my expectation was very well adjusted not to get disappointed. After all, I was more keen on snapping some pics than catching a big snapper. We actually did pretty well and caught six red snappers. And I thought they were pretty big, over two feet long each. Apparently they are only babies (about 3 years old) and they grow to 30 to 40 years. Amazing, they grow to 57 years according to this web site!

Took these two pics below and the one above just to see how the camera will handle low light. Result: Pretty happy. :)



Look carefully, actually you don't even have to look that hard and you would find some specks of dust in the photos. Yes, pretty crazy changing lens in that environment. Strong gusty wind, rocking vessel, salty water...




This is our skipper and the shark we caught. Yep, a shark! It was released after this photo. I think it is a bullhead shark.



This is even more crazy, extending my arm as far as possible on the side of the boat to snap a pic while we are cruising. :)


We have three boats, here is one of the other two.


And lastly, there you have it, this is the catch from my boat! Snappers! The bigger ones are at well over 70cm long.

No comments: